Cracking the Code through Syllable Division
In this engaging presentation, Carla will share her journey of parenting and leading others to make a difference to those with dyslexia and reading differences.
Dates: To be confirmed
Cost: $30+ GST
This is an honest recount of:
- What she would have done differently if she had her time again
- What has worked
- What hasn't worked
This will have you experiencing many 'aha' moments, sharing in the emotional journey, and walking away with clarity and a sense of connection.
It really does take a village to raise a child with a learning difference. Join this webinar to learn how you can make a bigger difference to your child and others.
Suitable for both parents, teachers and school leaders.
Spelling is Telling
This webinar is presented over two consecutive mornings. Attendees are required to participate on both days.
Date: To be confirmed
Cost: $105+ GST
The Why and How to teach spelling and the rules explained. Spelling is necessary for all and crucial for some.
This webinar is an introduction to building a whole school consistent approach in spelling.
As teachers it is important we know why and what to look for so we can directly teach. Do you give words or do you teach spelling? During this series, you will learn why spelling (alphabetic principle) is fundamental to success in literacy. We will share examples of what a systematic and cumulative approach in spelling looks like.
Throughout the series you will;
- Learn many spelling rules and concepts
- Understand the difference between phonology, high frequency words, irregular words and sight words
- Understand why having a consistent approach to the teaching of spelling is not only important but necessary
- Develop an awareness of why some programmes seem to work and others don't
- Determine what your next learning steps are
- Become prepared to walk back into school the next day with many more answers around what an evidence-based approach to spelling looks like
- Gather the tools and develop the necessary confidence to begin to truly teach spelling and make a bigger difference to every student but particularly those neurodiverse learners in your classroom
The iDeaL Stage 1 School Entry and Intervention Literacy Assessment Screening Tool
This webinar is presented over two consecutive afternoons from 1.30 - 4pm. Attendees are required to participate on both dates to complete this training course.
Date: To be confirmed
Cost: $155+ gst
"Poor phonological awareness is the most common cause of poor reading. Reading problems can be prevented if all students are trained in letter-sound skills and phonological awareness, starting in kindergarten." David Kilpatrick (2002)
Throughout the webinar, you will learn:
- What structured literacy (SL) is
- Why SL is the platform we should be teaching all students from
- How iDeaL Stage 1 assessment is founded the research and principles of structured literacy
- How to administer this assessment
- Gain insight into how this assessment tool can be analysed and an individual education plan generated using the iDeaL platform for an individual, group or class of students
- How to plan for instruction based on assessment findings
This webinar is suitable for junior teachers, literacy leaders, RTLits, RTLB and LSCs.
This assessment tool will enable you to identify and teach to the diagnostic needs of your students from school entry (and in intervention settings) as well as to be able to monitor progress in the all important areas that sit beneath reading fluency.
This assessment can be administered in 20 - 25 minutes and may become the first aspect of your dyslexia screening tools kete for students of all ages.
Attendees will receive an electronic copy of the assessment tool. Please note that the automated analysis, and reporting function (iDeaL platform) is not included, but is available for separate purchase.
What are SENCOs and Teachers saying about this tool?
"Finally a diagnostic tool which directs teaching and learning needs in literacy."
"This assessment not only taught me so much but very clearly showed me what we didn't know as teachers and what we haven't been teaching."
Equipped for Evidence Based Intervention
A new Professional Learning Series for LSC's, SENCO's, and Intervention Specialists.
This professional learning series is presented over four consecutive weeks on Fridays from 9.30 - 12pm. Attendees are required to participate on all dates to complete this training course.
Date: To be confirmed
Cost: $255 + gst
This webinar series provides you the opportunity to further develop your knowledge and practice as an intervention specialist, all the while ensuring it is aligned with current research and evidence based practices.
MODULE 1: SLD and Assessments
- Build understanding of SLDs Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyspraxia and Dyscalculia
- Build understanding of various assessments - Lucid vs WJIV, WISC
- Develop understandings on which aspects of cognitive reports impact classroom learning and give suggestions as to how to best support strengths and deficits in these areas
MODULE 2: Executive Function
- Build understanding of Executive Function
- Outline assessment techniques
- Explore teaching implications for intervention and mainstream settings
- Recommendations for suitable resources and readings
MODULE 3: Structured Literacy
- Build understanding of what structured literacy is and the research which aligns
- Provide suggestions and examples for intervention settings for literacy support
- Introduce 10 common spelling rules and 7 syllable types
- Understand what an intervention lesson looks like
- Outline how mainstream teachers can adjust teaching practices to support struggling literacy learners
MODULE 4: Fluency
- Build understanding of what reading fluency is
- Clarify the role of sight word acquisition in becoming a fluent reader
- Provide assessment tools for measuring fluency in intervention settings
- Suggest activities for intervention use that build fluency rates
- Make links to mainstream and share implications of the impact fluency has in these classrooms
Attendees will have follow up readings and activities to complete between modules.